Perhaps you are considering installing artificial grass for pets at your home, and are wondering how your new artificial turf and dog urine will “get along.” You might be wondering how to avoid staining and odors from your pup’s restroom breaks.
Or, perhaps you have already installed a synthetic grass lawn, and just want a refresher to make sure you’re properly cleaning away harmful bacteria, in order to keep your family and pets safe and healthy.
In either case, read on for the latest cleaning and care recommendations from our experienced staff.
*NOTE: if you have synthetic grass already and it seems to retain a strong urine odor, it is possible that there is an issue with the design, installation, drainage or quality of the artificial turf.
Cleaning up artificial turf and dog urine should not a challenging task.
Every design, brand and style of synthetic turf has it own unique characteristics, care, cleaning and maintenance requirements, however, there are some commonly accepted guidelines that can be followed to manage artificial turf and dog urine and urine odors.
In this article, we will discuss how to clean, deodorize and disinfect your pets synthetic grass “potty area.”
Let’s get down to business…
What To Know About Artificial Turf and Dog Urine
Synthetic Grass for Pets – how to keep it clean
There are great-quality synthetic grasses designed for pets, and then there are poor-quality cheap ones.
The highest quality synthetic turf have features similar to these:
- Underneath the grass is usually crushed stone aggregate that filters waste through to the soil while keeping the artificial grass surface firm.
- A backing (on the back/underside of the grass) that allows drainage and free flow of urine, hair, feces and other waste through the grass. Grasses with sand, rubber or ash type backings and infill can sometimes trap waste. We use Zeofill® infill for pets, with spectacular results.
- Antimicrobial surface to prevent unwanted bacteria from growing
It is important to consider the material the synthetic grass is made from, the drainage and backing systems, in addition to how and over what surface it will be installed.
What Is The Best Way To Eliminate Pet/Dog Urine From Artificial Grass?
The best way to get rid of pet urine from synthetic grass, and avoid damaging it is to follow the manufacturer’s or supplier’s care and cleaning instructions.
This is doubly true if you don’t want to void the warranty you get with the grass for things like wear and tear, fade and other damage.
Always check with the artificial grass manufacturer that a particular product or spray is OK for their particular product before using.
With quality artificial grasses, installed correctly, the urine will naturally drain through the surface without leaving a mark, and simple, routine cleaning of the surface will eliminate any odors.
General Routine – How To Clean Artificial Grass of Dog Urine & Pet Urine
A solid basic cleaning routine might be:
- Thoroughly rinse the turf surface with water from a hose
- Mop over or wipe over the surface with either or all three of a stain remover, stain disinfectant and odor remover/deodoriser. Some people might just use a bacterial enzyme spray or solution formulated to remove and deodorize pet stains
- Make sure the cleaning agents and products are natural so they don’t damage your grass, and so they are safe for the pets and kids.
Why Choose Pacific Grass & Turf?
Installing a synthetic grass lawn will save you work and money. Your water bill will decrease and the need to buy expensive lawn equipment is eliminated. Also, you can feel proud that by getting rid of that old yard and installing a gorgeous, low-maintenance synthetic grass lawn, you are reducing your carbon footprint and truly making a positive environmental impact for our world. You and your pets will play happier and safer on synthetic grass. Artificial turf and dog urine are no obstacle for years of happy play time with your four-legged friend.
Pacific Grass & Turf can help you design a beautiful, environmentally conscious landscape for your family and your pets. Contact us today to learn even more about the benefits of installing a synthetic grass lawn at your home or business.